AFA Quilt to Remember
Before you create your panel, please fill out and submit the Panel Maker Application . (You can also obtain the application form by calling AFA toll-free at 866-AFA-8484). Once you submit your application, we will send you a confirmation letter. Then, you will be on your way toward creating your own unique panel for the AFA Quilt to Remember .
Each panel will tell a special story – a moving personal tribute – about a loved one who had or has Alzheimer's disease or a related dementia; a caregiver; other family members affected by the disease; or a healthcare professional.
We welcome panel contributions from individuals, and companies and organizations on an ongoing basis. The creators can be individuals or groups of individuals, such as a family (everyone from toddlers to older adults), a caregiver support group, an adult day program or the staff of an assisted living facility.
Instructions and Tips:
- Panels designed by individuals should measure 4 feet by 4 feet; panels created by companies and organizations should be 8 feet by 8 feet.
- You might want to consider taking this on as a project involving, for example, your house of worship, high school honor society or quilting group.
- Since AFA will be taking the AFA Quilt to Remember to various cities around the country for display, it is important to create the panel on a durable fabric that will not tear when it is mailed or transported. You might want to ask your local fabric store for suggestions.
- Please add a backing, or an extra piece of support fabric, to the back of the panel since this will make it easier to display. Adding a layer of batting between the front panel and the backing is optional. All edges should be finished.
- Feel free to make your panel a “family affair” and personalize it with photos, appliqués, needlepoint or special mementos related to your loved one. You may include the individual's name, birth date, home town or other information, if you so desire.
- If your panel includes a collage, photo display or other three-dimensional objects, please make sure that all items are securely fastened to the main fabric.
- Each panel is a unique reflection of the person you are memorializing: Use your imagination, creativity and emotions!
We would also like to hear your personal story. We would welcome a letter or special thoughts about the person you are honoring with your panel.
How to Submit Panels:
Please send your completed panel, along with your personal story and a copy of your panel maker application, to:
AFA Quilt to Remember
Alzheimer's Foundation of America
322 Eighth Avenue, 7th floor
New York, NY 10001
There is no cost to contribute a panel. However, if you would like to make a donation to help offset the cost of touring the quilt or for AFA programs and services in general you can send it with your panel, or make a contribution online, by mail or by phone. We appreciate your generosity.
Thanks so much for your interest in the AFA Quilt to Remember …and for caring!