AFA provides the following services:
- Dementia Care Professionals of America. This membership organization for professionals caring for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, and their families, offers training, qualification, networking and support. DVD-based training and on-site training available. (www.careprofessionals.org).
Excellence in Care, AFA's national standards of excellence for dementia care settings, reflects what AFA believes are optimal standards of care for individuals with dementia at long-term care facilities, adult day programs and other dementia care settings.
Care Connection, AFA's monthly teleconference for professional and family caregivers offers insight into a wide range of issues with presentations by top experts. Toll-free call-in available from anywhere in the United States.
- AFA Care Quarterly magazine, AFA's quarterly magazine for family caregivers and healthcare professionals provides updates and practical information on topics related to everyday issues when caring for people with Alzheimer's disease and related illnesses. The magazine is available by free subscription, or in bulk quantities.
- In-service education and consultation services. AFA provides training on dementia-related issues to staff at assisted living communities, nursing homes, home healthcare agencies and other community organizations.
- Educational seminars and conferences for healthcare professionals. These sessions for physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners and other professionals familiarize them with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, and update them on new treatments and care strategies. Click here to see current events.
- Law enforcement training. AFA educates police, sheriff departments and other public safety officials about Alzheimer's disease, with a specific emphasis on issues related to wandering and other behavior.
- Collaboration and exchange sessions for professional caregivers. These sessions offer an opportunity for professionals caring for individuals with dementia to share their wisdom and challenges with others in the field.
- Hospice training. AFA trains healthcare professionals on ways to treat individuals with dignity and compassion at the end of life, and to emotionally support family members.